Web Development Resources
Learning how to join the online publishing realm is a big leap for most people -- even IT professionals, as we have learned in our XMIT 694 Internet Technologies course. I've been working in this field for the past seven years, putting up my first gopher page in 1995. I put together this list of online resources for a general audience. It includes links to both beginner, intermediate and advanced level materials.
- General Resources ::: Style Guide
- Writing on the Web - you have to have something to say before you can put up a web page.
- Web Tools - focus on the applications, utilities and other aids that I use regularly to get the job done.
- XHTML ::: Conversion of word processing files
- Cascading Style Sheets
- Fonts on the Web
- Search and Online Research ::: Search Engine Optimization and Promotion
- Web Servers and Server-side Scripting - Apache, mainly. Also PHP scripting ::: Regular expressions
- Search Engine Optimization
- Usability and Accessibility
- Cute stuff for a website, like a favicon.ico graphic to appear in a vistor's browser's address bar or favorite/bookmark.
I am interested in the broader social impact that the Internet and the Web have had on modern society. With the surge of weblogs to the mainstream, more interest has focused on how human interaction influence technology and its acceptance.
I use two blogging tools. I need to improve my understanding of how they work and how I can improve my writing tools.
- Help: CSS Templates for pMachine ::: pMachine Howtos ::: Quick Start Tutorial ::: CSS Templates ::: Addons and Hacks ::: Webring ::: Annika Lidne's DesignNotes
- Blogger: La Esquina del Movimiento ::: Unofficial FAQ ::: BlogThis help ::: Script Generator ::: Blogger Server Status ::: Mailing List ::: Blogger Tech ::: Blogger Help ::: Madarin Design »» Blogger Tips
- HaloScan - easy commenting for your blog
- Domain Registries: GoDaddy ::: Network Solutions
- Web Standards Group
- Internet Strategy: Jon Udell's Weblog ::: Ozzie's Blog::: xblog ::: Webword ::: Tomalak's Realm ::: Windley's Corporate Computing ::: Ross Mayfield's Weblog
- Zeldman and Company: Daily Report ::: NYPL Styleguide ::: Externals ::: AListApart ::: Independents Day ::: Digital Web ::: Glassdog ::: Nathan Shedroff
- Journal of the Hyperlinked Organization ::: Cluetrain Manifesto ::: Doc Searls ::: PoliTechbot ::: LineZine ::: Howard Rheingold ::: World of Ends: What the Internet Is and How to Stop Mistaking It for Something Else ::: The Rise of the Stupid Network ::: David Weiberger's Blog
- Web Design: BenMeadowcroft ::: WebGraphics ::: Saila.com's CSS layouts ::: Quirksmode
- Blogrolling ::: PNG/SuperJPG ::: MixFX ::: Anim-FX ::: Digital Collect of NYPL ::: California Digital Museum ::: Bambots Cartoon Fonts ::: StopDesign ::: Listamatic ::: Complex Spiral Consulting
- Online Writing: Content Exchange ::: Contentious ::: User Interface Engineering
- Internet Issues: Blog Ethics ::: Berkman Center for Law and the Internet ::: Stanford Center for Law and Society ::: Electronic Frontier Foundation ;:: ConsumerWebWatch ::: Chilling Effects Clearinghouse ::: LawMeme ::: Freedom to Tinker
- Personal Views/Weblogs: Jon Udell ::: Joel on Software ::: Evhead ::: Matt Haughey ::: Tremendo ::: David Winer ::: Paul Andrews ::: Buzz ::: GlennF ::: Dan Gillmor ::: MediaNews ::: Dan Bricklin ::: Craig Burton ::: CamWorld ::: EatonPortal ::: Louis Rosenfeld ::: WebLog Central ::: EMDezine
- The Interface Mafia: Don Norman ::: Ask Tog ::: Jakob Nielsen ::: Argus Center for Information Architecture ::: ZenHaiku ::: UsableWeb ::: UIWeb