This page started out focused exclusively on Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) or IP telephony. However, I've expanded it to deal with other communication issues as part of the trend towards convergence.
A quick summary of the some options that could make synchronous communication a quick start: voice and video. Most of these could be up with a quick registration with a service.
Voice Over Internet Protocol
One of the big issues for information technology and our course is security. We are bringing together here links and online resources that will help us do our jobs when we finish our course. See my paper on VoIP and its regulatory environment -- or lack of it.
- Dr. Raj Jain's exceptionally thorough listing of online references and book recommendations -High Performance TCP/IP Networking References
- Henning Schulzrinne, the creator of SIP and professor at Columbia University goldmine on Internet telephony and SIP
- Pulver.com ::: FreeWorldDailup ::: Skype ::: UserGuide
- Time to Retire Your PBX - ZDNet Tech Update Special Report, August 12, 2002
- Cisco: IP Telephony: The Five Nines Story ::: Planning Guide
- IPTel.org ::: Internet Telphony ::: New Telephony
- Session Initiation Protocol ::: SIP Ascendant
- Pachetizer ::: Vovida.org
- LightReading ::: VoIP Tips ::: VoIP Resources
- Telephony Online ::: Research Library ::: Telephony World ::: VoIPNews
- News.com: Big Picture - a series of articles about VoIP.
- Organizations: SIP Forum ::: SIP Center.com ::: Open H.323 Project ::: H323 Forum ::: International Multimedia Telecommunications Consortium (IMTC)
- Network Computing SIP Packs a Punch and It's Time To Take a Look At SIP ::: Telephony 101: Giving Voice to Your Network ::: Choosing a VoIP PBX ::: Buyer's Guide ::: Survivor's Guide ::: A VoIP Wake-Up Call ::: Making the Call on VoIP ::: How Will We Justify VoIP? by David Willis
- VoIP Troubleshooter
- ITU IP Telephony Regulatory Issues - some countries prohibit the use of IP technologies that might compete with the state-run telco company or concession holder.
I did an overview of the technology that might be useful.
- Light waves: The IP Tsunami Puts the Video Back in Videoconferencing eMedia, October 18, 2002
- Videoconferencing Applications: Grassroots Communications ::: First Virtual Communications ::: CUWorld ::: Reality Fusion
- Instant Messaging Planet ::: FaceTime ::: About's Net Conferencing ::: Google Directory ::: BigBlueBall
- More Instant-Messaging Security Holes ::: My instant messaging do's and don'ts ::: 10 tips for using instant messaging for business ::: Instant messaging for business: 3 packages tested ::: IM 2003: Thoughts on Instant Messaging's Coming Year ::: The Future of Instant Messaging ::: ISOC ::: IM in the Enterprise ::: To IM or Not to IM ::: RU Prepared?
- MS Netmeeting: MeetingByWire ::: NetMeetingHQ ::: MS NetMeeting ::: VideoFrog ::: Netmeeting Zone
- MSN Messenger and Messenger XP:
- Yahoo Messenger:
- Jabber: Jabber.org ::: Jabber.com ::: Tipic
- Cross-platform: Odigo ::: Trillian
To continue in the same vein, I did a research paper on peer-to-peer networking that casts some light on the Groove collaboration tool. Although I should probably include it on the Networks page, it's more about communications than networks.